Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March Tag Challenge

We sure had fun last night at The Craft Shack creating our versions of Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2016 March tag.  This month, Tim combined two past techniques; textures and dimensional die cuts.
The top layer is simply cardboard cut away with Movers and Shapers Mini Tattered Florals dies.  I then randomly tore away the top layer and rubbed a small amount of Gesso on the exposed ribs.  I inked the top with my favorite, Walnut Stain Distrsss Ink and I further grunged it up by spritzing Ground Esspresso and Gold Metallic Distress Stains with a small amount of white on top.  While that was drying, I used a Manila tag and placed various mixed media thinlet dies and cut.  This layer was placed over top of another blank Manila tag and printed tissue paper was adhered to the areas under which the die cuts would be placed.  Mixed medium was used both under and on top of the tissue to hold it in place.  The top tag was then adhered to the top with mixed medium and allowed to dry.  Gesso was brushed all over the top of the tag, then immediately wiped off with a baby wipe leaving bits of residue behind.  I then used Tim Holtz' new Distress Crayons and placed various colors all over the die cut areas, blending with my finger.  Too cool!  (It was so cool, I ordered each color pack of the crayons)!  Next I adhered the distressed cardboard layer over the crayoned layer so that the colors showed through the cut outs.  The gold spots are made by rubbing a glue stick and holding a piece of foil sheet on the area for a couple of minutes.  Lift off a and voila!  I evened the edges of the tag and distressed and inked to even out the color.  A few embellishments from Lisa's stash and it was finished.  Check out Tim Holtz' blog for more details.

1 comment: