Saturday, February 20, 2016

February Sweetheart Tag

Thursday evening was a blast creating this fun tag with my fellow crafters at The Craft Shack, our favorite supply store and crafting hangout.  We are following Tim Holt's 12 tags of 2016 and learning all of his techniques.  For each month this year he is mixing two techniques from prior years; this one being the monoprint from June 2014 and the embossing texture paste from March 2015.


I began by sponging a manila tag with antique linen distress ink then lightly spritzing it with water for a mottled effect.  I then used Tim Holtz's flourish stencil and inked the back of it with frayed burlap distress stain spritzed with water, and cleaned the edges with a paper towel.  (This ensures you won't get a line at the edge of your design.) I flipped the stencil over and layed it horizontally on the tag then pressed lightly all over with a paper towel, transferring the ink to the tag.  I repeated this step two more times to completely cover the tag.  What a great muted background!  You'll have to experiment with the amount of water to spritz and the type of stencil to get the proper effect.

Next, I used a heart stencil and some fired brick distress ink and applied some random hearts.  A finger dauber works great for this so you can achieve some faded edges.

For the second technique, I used some modeling paste and applied over a sweetheart word stencil.  While still wet, I applied some gold distress embossing powder, tapped off and let dry thoroughly.  Once dry, I heated with a heat gun only until the powder melted.  You don't want to over heat and melt the paste.  Wow, does the make the words pop off the tag!  It's hard to see here, but I love it so much, I might do it on all of my projects!

To finish off, I used a frame around a very old, dear picture of my great grandparents.  The heart was cut using Tim's Scribbles and Splat thinlet die and spritzed with Biscotti perfect pearls.  Hanging from the arrow is a charm with the letter C for Coates.  I added a "love" ticket, cherish charm, and crinkle ribbon died with fired brick.

I can't wait for March to see what two techniques he will combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment